What to Expect
Early departure from Quito with and an included pick up from your hotel at 5:30 am, We will drive for about an hour to reach the western entrance of Antisana Ecological Reserve, just about 48 km (30 miles) southeast from Quito.
The snow-covered top of Antisana Volcano is located at 18,886 ft a.s.l.. It’s the fourth highest peak of Ecuador and it’s covered by the largest ice cap in the country.
We may see many high altitude and local wildlife specialties including Ecuadorian Hillstar visiting the Chuquiragua bushes, Black-tailed Trainbearer, Stout-billed Cinclodes, Andean Tit-Spineatil, Many-striped Canastero, Tawny Antpitta, Tufted tit-Tyrant, Red-crested Cotinga, Paramo Pipit, Plumbeous Sierra-Finch and Black-winged Ground-Dove.
You’ll have the chance to see Carunculated Caracaras, Andean Gulls, Andean Lapwings, and many other species that are absent or difficult at other sites such as the rare Black-faced Ibis.
Inside the Antisana Ecological Reserve exist perching and roosting cliffs, a large number of Andean Condor use it
Birdlife categorizes Antisana as an Important Bird Area and it is part of The Nature Conservancy’s Condor Bioreserve.
The “La Mica” Lake is home of Andean Coots, Andean Teals, Andean Ruddy Ducks, and Yellow-billed Pintails and the rarely seen Silvery Grebe.
Lunch with Hummingbirds! at a privileged view of the Andean Condor nesting and roosting sites.
Return to your hotel in Quito around 5 pm.
Departure Point: Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Time: 5:30 AM
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Private transportation
- Certified, bilingual naturalist & birding guide
- Lunch with soft drink
- Bottled water
- National Park fees
- All activities
- Coffee and/or Tea
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- A small amount of walking is involved along trails with irregular terrain although if participants require longer hiking trails are available.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults
- Copy of passport of one of the group members is require for billing purposes (local tax exemption)
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.